Electric Department Maps
The following maps are to be used for informational purposes only. The placement of the electric lines on the maps is not accurate. These maps only give you an idea of an approximate place electric lines are located. Please note that electric lines may be moved or changed, and those changes may not be shown on the following maps.
Make sure you call JULIE before digging!1-800-892-0123
The present power plant has a total of ten units ranging from 1000 to 6000 HP, with a total rated capacity of 19,632 kWh. Of these ten units, nine of these engines are operated on dual fuel (natural gas and #2 diesel fuel). The remaining unit is operated on diesel fuel alone.
The present distribution systems serves approximately 2072 residential customers, and 369 commercial, and 3 industrial customers. It consists of 85 pole miles of 12 kV overhead distribution line, 10 circuit miles of 12 kV underground distribution line, and 7 pole miles of overhead 69 kV transmission line.
The power plant and substation will be completely retrofitted with up to date controls, switchgear, and SCADA system by August of 2002, with the installation of a new 25 mVa power transformer, total system output capacity is 56 mW.
On July 23, 1999 the electrical system set a record summer peak load of 14,904 kW. A record of 7,177,800 kWh for gross production and purchased power was set during July of 1999.
The historical era of the City of Sullivan Electric Department is a most interesting one, the contents of which sound quite comical to us now living in these modern times.
In 1892, the supplier of electrical energy to the City was privately owned by John H. Baker, a local attorney. The City purchased power from Mr. Baker to operate a total of 32 street lights for an average cost of $200.00 per month. It is noted in old City records that the night policeman was to procure a book in which to enter the amount of time the street lights burned. In turn, he was to submit a monthly time report to the City officials.
In 1901, the franchise with Mr. Baker expired and a new contract was offered by the Sullivan Electric Company, successor of Mr. Baker. This contract was to be for a period of one year, the cost to be $60.00 per light per year. At that time, the City was equipped with a total of 40 lights, standard 2000 candlepower. The City officials thought these rates completely unreasonable and claimed all contracts defective. The City therefore refused to pay for any power from said Company and on December 16, the City officials invited bids for lighting of said City. One stipulation of this request was, "The contract would require an all night service, on a moon light schedule, the Mayor to control the use of lights on dark or cloudy nights.
In 1903, the Street Light Committee was instructed to make arrangements for lighting streets of the City. It was decided the most suitable place to operate a power plant would be in the building of the City Waterworks. All necessary apparatus for conducting electricity was installed, and the Superintendent of the Waterworks was to have a general supervision over the electric light plant.
In 1913, Central Illinois Public Service Company asked for a franchise to supply the City with electrical power, but the proposal was tabled indefinitely. It appears the former supplier attempted to sell all rights granted to him by a City Ordinance to CIPS. They, in turn, proceeded to use all poles, transformers, etc. within the City with no regard to the City itself or to their legal right to this action.
1914 was the year that plans and specifications was presented for the erection of a municipal light plant, and the following year, the City terminated all CIPS operations within the City. This action resulted a lawsuit between the City and CIPS. A petition was circulated to all legal voters for right to pass the appropriation ordinance to enable said City to advertise for bids for a power plant.
As time lapsed of 13 years prompted the voters of the City to present to appropriate a large sum of money for the purpose of providing new, better, larger and additional equipment and machinery for the betterment and enlargement of the electric light plant.
As the old steam equipment was wearing out, and at the same time the demand usage was beginning to exceed plant capacity, it was decided to convert to the new diesel equipment. Two engines manufactured by the Fairbanks Morse Company were purchased to be installed in the newly remodeled power plant.
During 1983, Sullivan was a charter member in the organization of the Illinois Municipal Electric Agency. IMEA’s primary function is to provide wholesale electricity to its members, which they re-sell on the retail market. This enables Sullivan to have an alternate source of power plus another option for low-cost electricity.
Superintendent - Richard Barnes
Lead Worker - Ron Weaver
Distribution Worker - Sean Leavitt
Distribution Worker - Josh Isaacs
Distribution Worker - Danny Bathe
Secretary - Karen Skidis
Approximately 49 miles of Gas Main servicing 2,460 residential, commercial and industrial customers.
Service area includes the City of Sullivan, Illinois, Masonic Home, Fox Harbor, Elim Springs Subdivision, Country Club Subdivisions, and the new industrial park on the west edge of Sullivan
Illinois Public Energy Association
Okaw Valley Gas Operators Association
National Association of Gas Consumers
Water and Sewer Departments
RR # 1
Travis Hughes, Superintendent
E. Water Street
Sullivan, IL 61951
Kurk Grohler, Superintendent
Wyman and Tabor Parks
Directions: Go North on either Main Street or Worth Street to get to Wyman park. Go North on Worth Street to get to Tabor Park.
Sullivan boasts two 40-plus acre parks. Wyman Park was established in the will of Albert Wyman in 1912. It offers picnic facilities, tennis courts, baseball diamonds, basketball courts, a skateboard park, a frisbee golf course, playground equipment, including a Kiddie Koral for young children, and fishing in Wyman Lake.
Tabor Park, also bequeathed to the City of Sullivan, offers jogging or hiking trails complete with exercise stations, and is handicapped accessible. It is lcoated along tree-lined Asa Creek, and also features prairie grasses and some picnic facilities
2 West Water Street
307 S. VanBuren
Sullivan, IL 61951
John Love, Police Chief
The Sullivan Police Department is dedicated to
"Protecting and Serving."
The Sullivan Police Department needs your help in keeping the community safe for our children. Please obey all traffic laws and be respectful of others. If you can do your job by obeying laws, the Sullivan Police can do their job by helping to protect and serve you!
City Building/Treasurer's Office